- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 2 beets roasted and sliced
- 4oz of goat cheese, set aside 1oz for the top
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 eggs beaten
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbl parsley
- 3 tbl of balsamic honey onions
- 2 tbl dill, reserved 1 for the end
a couple weeks ago a new bakery opened in town. everyone has been really excited about it. of course we went in, chocolate chip cookies and savory tarts, come on. the cookies were great, crunchy and sweet, great with a cup of coffee. unfortunately, even though they advertised these wonderful tarts (beet and goat cheese is what caught my attention) in the window there were none to be found. they wouldn’t be out for another couple hours, i wasn’t waiting with two kids under 4 so we went about our business and then home.
i thought about going back to get this tart all last week but never had a moment to really stop in. so while the kids were eating dinner i decided to make one. i have never made a tart before, any kind of tart, savory or sweet, so i didn’t know where to begin. i grabbed some recipe books but nothing, so i turned to the internet. i googled, nothing that caught my interest. so i just started looking at vegetable tart recipes and familiarized myself with the basic ingredients and went from there.
this roasted beet and goat cheese tart was amazing. we loved it so much we made it again this weekend for a family get together. the mixture of the cheese and the beets were perfect. throw in some fresh herbs and your all set. it’s a lovely dish for a bbq or brunch, or even just because it’s officially spring!
roasted beet and goat cheese tart
just a note: since i made this recipe 2x in 3 days i tried it 2 different ways. the first time i made it on a cookie sheet like a pizza, it worked well. make sure to crimp the sides so you don’t loose any cheese. the second time i made it i used a tart pan, i laid the pastry sheet right over it and trimmed the sides and used the excess to fill in the gaps. if you are using the cookie sheet, lay parchment paper down first, if you are using a tart pan, spray it or put some olive oil on a paper towel and lightly spread it all over the tart pan.
- in a small bowl, beat your egg with salt and pepper, add ricotta, 3 oz of the goat cheese, 1 tbl of dill and parsley. mix to combine and spoon over your pastry sheet.
- thinly slice your beets and lay over the cheese mixture. take your balsamic honey onions and reserved goat cheese and sprinkle over the beets.
- bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until cheese sets.
- after tart cools, about 5-10 minutes sprinkle with reserved dill and serve.