- 2 fennel bulbs
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- handful of parsely
- 1 chili pepper (optional but gives it great flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- about 1 cup of grated asiago cheese
- 1 tbl butter cubed
my friend sara asked me if this was one of my diet recipes…what gave it away? was it the cream? or the cubed butter that i melted on top?
as you can see, my diet failed. well, actually, it’s just on hold…you know, for the rest of the winter, or maybe until it gets warm and i can go outside, or until these warm, cheesy, fattening, creamy meals stops presenting itself in my inbox (damn you saveur).
i’m going to keep this short and sweet, ready…there is nothing better in the world then spooning something like this onto your plate after a long, cold, and
hectic chaotic day. so go make some, you won’t be sorry. just don’t blame me for the 3 extra pounds you gain because you eat the whole dish.
baked fennel (in cream) adapted from saveur magazine
to prep: slice fennel lengthwise into long strips. i used the stalks and most of the fronds, i don’t like to waste and the stalks taste awesome. slice the garlic, mince the parsley, cut the chili pepper roughly. preheat your oven to 400.
- in a baking dish, lay out fennel. Add garlic, chili pepper, half the parsley, cream, half the cheese and mix (use your hands).
- to the top of the above mixture, cover with rest of cheese,sprinkle last of the parsley, and lay out cubed butter on top.
- cover with tinfoil and cook covered for one hour at 400.
- uncover and cook for a half an hour.
when fennel is done baking, let it sit out for a couple minutes (i couldn’t resist and i burn my tongue). enjoy as a side to steak or even chicken. i’ll be honest with you, i can just eat this (is that bad?).