- 1 tbl sherry vinegar
- 1 tbl red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 a lemon zested
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5 cooked beets chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- handful of chopped fresh basil
- handful of fresh chopped parsley
- crumbled goat cheese
i love beets. i really really do (see here, here and here). whenever i see them on a menu, no matter what they are in, i order them. whenever i see them at the store, i buy them. i really just can’t get enough of them.
my favorite beet, the yellow. why you might ask? as much as i love red beets i find they really look like a bloody mess (sorry to be so graphic). they turn everything red. everything, including your hands. if i am making a salad that included cheese such as a soft goat cheese, i like it to hold it’s color. yellow beets really don’t bleed as much as red.
for this recipe i prefer to steam my beets. steaming is very easy and it takes less time. i like to peel the beets and chop them. i stick them in a pot with a steamer attached (see picture below) with fresh garlic (about 3 cloves) and basil. turn the heat up to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes or until you can pierce the beets easily with a fork.
beet salad with crumbled goat cheese
- cook you beets (steam as i mentioned above or roast). discard garlic and basil, add to a bowl.
- for the dressing, combine vinegars, olive oil, lemon zest and sugar. whisk. add to bowl of beets.
- to the bowl add sliced onions, fresh basil and parsley and crumble over goat cheese. give it a toss and let marinate for about an hour.
- this is a great light salad. one of my favorites. great for bbq’s this weekend as well as for lunches during the week or even dinner.
note: i like to pour the dressing over the beets when they are warm (not hot). i find the beets really soak up the dressing.