- 2 tbl butter
- 1 tbl oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 heads of broccoli, just the florets, about 2 cups
- 2 cups of stock
- 2 cups cream
- pinch of salt and pepper
- a pinch of nutmeg
- about a cup or so of grated cheese (i used cheddar)
my little monkey is sick. strep. that’s how i spent my valentines day. back and forth to the doctor. the pharmacy. and then when i actually got to sit down this was requested.
i can’t say no to him. those cute little blue eyes. the blond hair. there is no hope for me. none. his sister looks just like him. i’m screwed.
when my kids cock their little cute heads and say “hey mom, can you make broccoli into a soup?” i melt and go start cooking.
their lucky if you ask me. i can cook, thank goodness because we all would starve if i didn’t enjoy it.
this soups comes together fast. a little chopping, some sauteing, and in an hour you have homemade soup that is melt in your mouth good.
the combination of broccoli and cheese is to die for. i may or may not have used cream and butter in this recipe. ok, it’s safe to say if you saw the list of ingredients already i used both. sometimes you just have to go for it. don’t be scared. it’s ok to treat yourself to pure fat during the winter (is this winter?). next week, ok, maybe the week after i’ll get back on that treadmill.
cream of broccoli soup with freshly grated cheddar cheese
- in a dutch oven melt 2 tbl of butter with 1 tbl of canola or olive oil. saute one onion and 2 cloves of garlic for about 5 minutes.
- here is where the broccoli enters. saute the those little florets with the onion and garlic for another 4=5 minutes.
- pour in your stock, your cream, a pinch of salt and pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and simmer for an hour.
- i use my immersion blender, if you don’t have one you can use a regular blender or even a potato masher, blend or mash to your desired consistency. i like to leave some florets visible but not many.
- throw in a cup or so of cheese, mix, serve.