- asparagus stalks (about 10)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of parm cheese
- 1/2 cup of roasted soy nuts
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 chili pepper
- a pinch of salt and pepper
ever make a recipe that calls for asparagus tips? what do you do with the stalks? i stick them in the freezer and forget about them. i find them months later and think, oye, what do i do with these? i hate to waste food.
what about pesto? it’s just something i never thought about. why can’t you make pesto with asparagus stalks? instead of pine nuts you could almonds or cashews, instead of basil you could use cilantro. there are so many possibilities…
the other day we needed a quick light dinner, i remembered i had these little babies sitting in my freezer just waiting to be used.
asparagus, cheese, nuts, some fresh basil and garlic, that’s it. it’s fresh, it’s healthy, and it tasted amazing!
- blanch your asparagus (quickly add the stalks to boiling water and cook for about one minute). drain and run cold water over them.
- to a food processor add all of the ingredients and pulse to you find your desired consistency.
serve over anything from pasta to fish.