- 2 onions, 1 minced
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 handful of chopped cilantro
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 4 cups of veg or chicken stock
- 3 cans of black beans
- salt and pepper to taste
i’m a huge fan of black beans. huge. love them.
it was one of the boys first real meals and a bean i can do many things with.
i realized this week i have never really made black bean soup. it’s one of our favorites too.
i heart black bean soup chunky. i heart being able to scoop up some carrots, celery and yes, the beans in one spoonful. but the best part of this soup, it takes no time at all to cook and prepping only takes minutes with minimal clean up (now that is my type of meal!).
chunky black bean soup
note for prep: rinse and drain the cans of beans. i like to add one can whole and then i mash up 2 cans of beans. not mash as in mushy, mash as in break up the beans and mash some of them to add some texture and thickness.
- in a dutch oven or soup pot saute 1 onion, celery, and carrots in a tbl of olive or canola oil until cooked, about 5-10 minutes.
- meanwhile, in a food processor or blender blend tomatoes, cilantro 1 onion and garlic, set to the side for a minute or two.
- after onion and carrot mixture is done cooking add your tomato mixture (kind of a sofrito) and cook for 2 minutes.
- at this point add your stock and beans (see note above).
- bring to a boil and then simmer for about 45 minutes.
the husband doesn’t like his soup as chunky as mine. so i did end up taking out my hand blender and stick it in the pot for a second or two just to make it less “chunky”.