- 1 package of success boil in a bag brown rice
- 1 onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup of frozen broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of veggie broth
let’s talk about brown rice for a moment…i’m not a fan.
i might as well bring this up too, i really am not a fan of anything whole grain (except bread).
you know what? i might as will bring this up too. i will only drink whole milk.
i’m a good example right (insert huge grin here)…i’m trying.
and then i decided to make a brown rice casserole…this i thought would be a good introduction to our new rice…brown rice (or as my kids call it, dirty rice).
it’s as simple as throwing everything into a oven proof dish. prep, 5 minutes. cheese, use your favorite kind (i used a goats milk gouda, great choice). broccoli, use frozen if you have. it’s one of those simple one pot sides.
great idea to introduce your family to brown rice (if you are like me and refused it for so long). great idea for a quick side. very kid and adult friendly.
brown rice and broccoli casserole
just because i have to write this, please don’t laugh. take the rice out of the bag you can use regular old brown rice but this cooks faster and you can keep it uncovered. if you use regular brown rice it takes longer to cook. cover for 30, cover off for 10 or 15.
- pre-heat your oven to 350.
- to a casserole dish or dutch oven add brown rice, onion, garlic, broccoli, mushrooms, half the cheese, broth and water. mix. add reserved cheese to the top.
- bake for 30 minutes uncovered.