- 1 cornish hen split
- 1 onion minced
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 nice pinch of red pepper flakes
- handful of basil
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
it’s been a while since our last date night.
cooking has been put on the back burner (wink)…its the last days of school, it’s class picnics, it’s parties, it’s t-ball…it all gets in the way. i owed the man a meal.
not just any meal, a good meal, something hearty, something that says, dude, i love you.
i’m pretty sure i pulled it off. and if you have an hour or two make this…your partner will be happy, no, he will be ecstatic.
cornish hen ragu
- to a dutch oven add about 1 tbl of canola oil. heat up and brown split hen on both sides. take out of pot and reserve.
- saute onion and garlic in dutch oven for 5 minutes, just until onion starts to become translucent. add red pepper flakes, mix, add wine and cook for another minute.
- empty can or bottle of tomatoes into pot and stir. add sugar, basil and a pinch of salt and pepper, mix. add hen back to pot.
- cover partially and cook for about an hour or until hen is falling off bone.
- when sauce is done, carefully remove hen and shred meat, add back to pot.
- taste, season, toss with pasta and enjoy.
don’t forget to enter the giveaway!! it’s a good one (see link here).