- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 2 golden beets
- 1 red onion
- handful of fresh herbs
- pinch of salt and pepper
- handful of dried cranberries
- handful of raw almonds
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- pea shoots
- 2 tbl olive oil
salads and summer go hand in hand…at least they do here.
we live on salad during the summer. they accompany us to picnics, they join us at the pool, and they are the star at most of our bbq’s.
beets in salad here are a given, i mean, they find there way into my salads mostly every night. and what goes fabulously with beets? goat cheese. and what goes great with goat cheese? herbs. should i go on…
all the ingredients are a giant compliment to each other. they all go hand in hand…they all love each other in some way shape and form.
do i sound way to passionate about my ingredients? i tend to do that, but i get really excited when a salad comes together. especially when every ingredient is one i love. especially when it contains beets…and goat cheese, and dried fruit, and pea shoots…
beet, sweet potato and goat cheese salad
don’t have pea shoots? use lettuce, any kind will do. the great thing about this salad is you can mix and match everything. ran out of goat, use feta, no cranberries, use golden raisins. get it, it’s incredibly easy and yes, delish!
- line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- clean, and peel the skin off of sweet potato and beets, cube and place on lined cookie sheet.
- to the cookie sheet add cubed onions, herbs (i used basil, tarragon and parsley), 2 tbl of canola oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, toss. bake at 350 for 45 minutes. i like to check in every once in a while to make sure nothing is burning and sometimes give everything a quick toss.
- meanwhile, in a big bowl, toss pea shoots (or lettuce) with cranberries and almonds.
- when veg has roasted and has cooled add them to lettuce, top with goat cheese, some more fresh herbs and serve.
this salad needs no dressing. it’s light, refreshing, and it screams summer!