- 1 12oz can of summerale (or your favorite type of beer)
- 1 3/4 pound beef shoulder
- 1 tbl taco seasoning
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1 large shallot minced
- 6 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbl brown sugar
did someone say beer? slow cooking in beer? yeah, you heard it right.
i broke out my old friend, i was starting to miss her. i’ve quickly come to the realization that i need her to help me. what did you say? yes, my crock pot is a girl (inset smile here).
all my veggie summer meals have been great but we were all craving something different. something interesting, something that she could cook for me all day.
beer. beer and meat. beer, meat and taco seasoning. a delectable combination that can’t be missed. use a light summer ale, brooklyn larger makes a good one. use that homemade taco seasoning, it takes about 2 seconds to make. sweeten that broth up at the end with some brown sugar. it’s a summer combination that you can’t live with out, you know, if you like pulled meats.
summer ale beef tacos
- to a crock pot add beer, shallot, garlic, taco seasoning, lime juice, zest, and bay leaves.
- warm up a skillet and lightly salt your beef shoulder. sear on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. add to crock pot.
- cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-8.
- when the meat falls apart when you gently touch it with a fork, take it out of crock pot and shred.
- while you are shredding, take the liquid broth mixture and add it to a saucepan with about 1 tbl brown sugar, mix and bring to a boil.
- after meat has been shredded, pour about a 1/4 cup of the liquid mixture over shredded meat (or more) and mix, you just want to moisten up the beef.
serve with tortillas and salsa, enjoy!