i am thrilled to tell you that today i have been featured over at donuts, dresses and dirt.
you might remember me mentioning sheri…like constantly. i am a huge fan. not only can the girl bake, but she is my go to for everything garden related. not to mention i have accompanied her on an outing or two.
not only has sheri guest posted for me before (see here and here) but i adore all those snacks and dessert things that i just can’t make (although i have made these!). when sheri emailed me and asked me to guest post a couple weeks back I couldn’t say no, especially since she asked me to blog about lentils (only one of my favorite foods).
there is a theme here…never say never…and sheri does not like lentils (what!!! i can’t believe i let her be my friend).
let me let you in on a secret, a lentil to me is what bacon is to sheri. so when sheri told me about her being not so much of a fan of lentils i felt like i had to change her mind.
how do you change sheri’s mind? you add bacon.
Lentil, Bulgur and Bacon Salad
ingredients for the salad:
- 4 slices of bacon crumbled and fat set aside
- 1 cup of uncooked french green lentils (puy lentils)
- ½ cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 scallions
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ½ cup chopped apricots
- handful of mixed herbs
ingredients for the vinaigrette:
- 2 tbl apricot juice
- 2 tbl bacon fat
- pinch of salt and pepper
- brown bacon, drain, set aside the fat when done.
- in one pot boil 3 cups of water and add 1 cup of lentils. simmer until lentils are soft (15-20 minutes). drain any excess water.
- in a separate pot boil water and add ½ cup of bulgur, turn off flame, cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
To make salad:
- cut and chop, and add all of the salad ingredients to a big mixing bowl.
- to make the vinaigrette: add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk. gently mix into salad.
(go check out my guest post!)