- 1 stick (1/2 cup) room softened butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 over ripe bananas
- 2 tbl ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
i’m obsessed with flax seeds.
i’m putting it in everything.
bread, pancakes, cookies…muffins.
it all started last week. i go through phases. usually someone needs to re-start my obsession.
see i have this friend who is an awesome baker. i mean, this woman can bake. the thing that annoys me most about her is that not only can she bake anything she can cook too. that’s just like not fair.
i think you should do either or, and mainly that’s just because i suck at baking. not really suck, it just takes me a long time and i need to focus. like, no one should be yelling at me or screaming from the bathroom “i’m done”.
an then there is the dogs…they seem to find a way out of my yard just when i’m about there…you know, close to getting it.
i’m going somewhere with this…and as long as my dogs don’t run away when i stick this in the oven i’m good.
when i do bake and i know there is a chance i won’t be able to focus i tend to go for what i know…and i know banana bread. i’ve been making the same recipe for years…i have it so down i don’t even need to look at the recipe…i’ve actually gotten so comfortable with it i started to play with it (see here).
and when my obsession with flax seeds started again last week i was dying to find 2 over ripe brown bananas to play with. and then it happened. 2 over ripe bananas appeared.
i knew it was meant to be…and when i surprise my kids with these in the morning they will be super happy and super full and ready for a full day at school (you know, if they have school cause we have yet to have a real full week since school started).
banana coconut flax seed muffins
this mix makes 12 large muffin and 12 mini muffins.
to prepare: pre-heat oven to 350
- with a mixer whip the butter at med speed adding one by one: brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, mashed banana and flax seed.
- in a separate mixing bowl sift together flour, baking soda and powder.
- take the bowl off the mixer, add half the dry mixture. mix with a spatula, add half the yogurt and mix. add the rest of the flour, mix and add the rest of yogurt mix. add coconut and gently mix.
- using a 1/4 cup measuring cup scoop batter into muffin tins. (if you are not using liners please grease your pans. see #5 to)
- using 1 tbl spoon rest of batter into mini muffin tins. (see note on #4)
- bake mini muffins for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. big muffins cook for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.