it’s my favorite time of the year…spring!
allergies, flowers, blooming trees, petals all over the street…it couldn’t get any better, well, until…well, you know, the farmers market opened.
i was like a little kid getting ready to jump in a bouncy house, you just can’t hold me back.
it’s like a race, the car door opens and we all run.
there is smiling, there is laughing…and pickles, because come on, a pickle on a stick is a kids best friend.
i on the other hand run right to the guy selling greens. beet greens. baby beet greens.
i buy 2 bags.
i have serious issues, but you already new that. we eat a bag on the way home.
and then we whip up something like this…
because beet greens are the best, and when you toss them with pasta and cream, well, come on…
bow tie noodles w/beet greens
- 1 tbl butter + 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 4 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cups chopped beet greens
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or veggie)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- handful of fresh basil
- in a large sauce pan melt butter with canola oil. add onions and garlic, sauté till onion is translucent.
- to the pan add tomatoes and beet greens, toss and sauté till greens are wilted.
- add chicken stock and cream. mix, cook until sauce becomes creamy and a little thick (as in, coats the back of a spoon, about 3-4 minutes).
- season with salt and pepper, toss with pasta and fresh basil (i like bow ties with this)
- sit, relax, eat, enjoy.