kale is one of my favorite greens.
how can you go wrong. an all around super food.
you can eat it raw or cook it. it’s a great substitute for spinach or lettuce. toss it with a simple vinaigrette or sauté it with ginger and soy. really, how can you not like it.
i love salads during the summer ( i know, we have went over this a million times but i like telling you). when we bbq (which we do a lot), yeah, i like the steak, but the salads, they are my favorite part. i can spend hours standing over veggies thinking up ideas on how to create something new. something different, something light, something fun.
i take everything out of my pantry and inspect. lentils, quinoa, rice, bulger, dried fruit…i stand over them. i put things back, i take them out again. and then i go through my fridge. i look, i inspect. i take things out. this is about the time everyone leaves me alone because they see where this is going…
and then this happens…something simple, something easy. something we all dive into.
a simple salad for a crazy day. an easy recipe with no measurements. it’s time to sit back, not stress, and taste your way through the perfect salad full of sweet, salty and fresh.
easy kale salad
- 1 bunch of tuscan kale
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 handfuls of dried cranberries
- 4 scallions
- toasted pine nuts
- olive oil
- 1 large lemons
- salt and pepper
- wash and cut kale into bite size pieces. slice pepper. cut scallions. add to bowl. top with cranberries.
- in a skillet, add 2 handfuls of pine nuts. toast stirring often till golden (be careful not to burn). add to bowl.
- squeeze lemon over salad avoiding pits (they look like pine nuts, very difficult).
- drizzle oil over salad, just once around the bowl. drizzle honey (about 1 tbl) and add a pinch of salt and pepper. wash your hands and toss salad.
a simple, elegant salad for a chaotic day. great for a late night meal, excellent for a bbq.