i’ve been taking some time off.
it was just that kind of month…
no camp, no school, a couple days away.
the summer was magical. it’s been fun, but i am ready for it to end.
i miss my sweaters. i want my jeans. i walked the dogs in my furry slippers this morning.
school started for one of my littles. one jewish holiday passed. and i’m way to excited about apple picking.
way to exited…
so i started early. because it’s getting chilly. and fall reminds me of apples. and apples remind me to bake. and then i remind myself that i hate baking because it stresses me out. but i do it anyway, because after, well after, i feel good.
so here is something to get the month started. some cake. apple cake.
apple date cake adapted from the king arthur cookbook
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 5 dry dates pitted and chopped (optional)
- 4 cups unpeeled apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 eggs
- pre-heat oven to 325
- grab your handy kitchen aid mixer (or hand held mixer) and the paddle attachment.
- to mixing bowl add flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices. whisk till combined.
- add mixing bowl to mixer and add the butter, dates, apples, raisins and eggs. beat at med speed until blended.
- grease and flour a cake pan and add the batter smoothing out the top.
- bake for 45 minutes. cool. inhale. exhale. eat.
for this cake i used a round spring form cake pan. i later, as you can see above, topped it with caramel frosting (see page 396 of the king arthur cookbook).