the one not so awesome thing about split pea soup is it doesn’t photograph well. let’s be honest, it looks like vomit.
i’m not sure if vomit and a food blog go together but seriously, really. you’re thinking the same thing right?
i know you are.
it seems i’ve got my sense of humor back? eh, possibly.
all i know is this perfect bowl of soup took all of 45 minutes to make from start to finish. fresh veg, homemade chicken stock, our favorite hot dogs.
i promise, your kids, they’ll love it. after they get over what it looks like of course…
sweet potatoes, a carrot, a large slice of onion…that’s all it takes. sweet, perfect, and delicious. a great combination for a cold and dark day.
plus, my kids love hotdogs.
simple a quick split pea soup
what ya need:
- 1 tbl of butter
- 2 tbl canola oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium to small sweet potatoes skinned and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 carrot, skinned and chopped
- 1 cup of greed split peas
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 hot dogs split and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
what you need to do:
- melt butter with canola oil. sauté the onion, carrot, sweet potatoes and garlic for 5 minutes or until the veg soften.
- add split peas, mix. add stock mix. bring to a boil, and then simmer covered for 20 minutes or until split peas break apart easily and potatoes and carrots are soft.
- with an immersion blender (or a regular blender) blend soup till you reached your desired consistency. mix and add diced hotdogs. cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
ladle into bowls. inhale. dig in.
I’ll have to add this to my need to try list. I must confess, the hot dogs crack me up!
LOL! It does look like vomit but I bet it tastes great! Pea Soup is one of my favs!
M, it’s Dan, i am going to make this.