the one not so awesome thing about split pea soup is it doesn’t photograph well. let’s be honest, it looks like vomit.
i’m not sure if vomit and a food blog go together but seriously, really. you’re thinking the same thing right?
i know you are.
it seems i’ve got my sense of humor back? eh, possibly.
all i know is this perfect bowl of soup took all of 45 minutes to make from start to finish. fresh veg, homemade chicken stock, our favorite hot dogs.
i promise, your kids, they’ll love it. after they get over what it looks like of course…
sweet potatoes, a carrot, a large slice of onion…that’s all it takes. sweet, perfect, and delicious. a great combination for a cold and dark day.
plus, my kids love hotdogs.
simple a quick split pea soup
what ya need:
- 1 tbl of butter
- 2 tbl canola oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium to small sweet potatoes skinned and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 carrot, skinned and chopped
- 1 cup of greed split peas
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 hot dogs split and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
what you need to do:
- melt butter with canola oil. sauté the onion, carrot, sweet potatoes and garlic for 5 minutes or until the veg soften.
- add split peas, mix. add stock mix. bring to a boil, and then simmer covered for 20 minutes or until split peas break apart easily and potatoes and carrots are soft.
- with an immersion blender (or a regular blender) blend soup till you reached your desired consistency. mix and add diced hotdogs. cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
ladle into bowls. inhale. dig in.