it’s may 5th, cinco de mayo. cooking anything special today?
i have been finding cinco de mayo recipes everywhere. the saveur magazine this month was dedicated to secrets of mexican cooking. i was very excited. i found a couple of great recipes, don’t worry i will share.
in the meantime, this week, other then my kitchen blunders, i have actually turned out a couple great dishes. one from left over corn from our bbq this weekend. it was a great alternative to tomato salsa and was perfect paired with our re-fried bean (next paragraph) mexican pizza.
why re-fried beans? i was shopping the other day and found cans of re-fried beans. i looked at the cans and put it back. i knew i could figure out a healthy way to make it. i did i found a couple great recipes online, all that reminded me of the pinto beans i made the other day.
both great recipes to celebrate today. happy 5th!
roasted corn salsa
- 1/2 red onion minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- handful of cilantro
- a touch of salt
- mix all of the above ingredients together and mix.
- you can serve right away but letting it sit for an hour or so really makes a difference. it allows all the flavors to come together. it’s a perfect mix of sweet from the corn, spicy from the jalapeno, but at the same time earthy from the cilantro and onion.
crock pot no-fry re-fried beans
- 2 can of beans drained, i used one pinto and one kidney. black would be great too
- 1 can of water
- 1 onion minced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper (i left the seeds in for more heat)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- the best part of this recipe, you can cook it in your crock pot. if you don’t keep an eye on it and add more water as it evaporates.
- in your crock-pot, add all the ingredients + one cup of water. i filled up a can and dumped it in.
- cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3.
- when beans are done, blend or mash.
we made mexican pizza’s with the beans. i added some fresh tomatoes, some cheese and the corn salsa. it would be great in a burrito or in a taco.
happy cinco de mayo!