- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small container blueberries
blueberry lemon muffins have become a favorite in our house. these as well as banana/zucchini bread are on a permanent rotation here.
these aren’t like the blueberry muffins you buy at the store. they are very light and not very sweet. there great in the morning with coffee and the kid’s love them with fresh fruit. j and p polished off almost all 12 muffins today.
i’ve seen different versions of this recipe all over the internet. some people use honey instead of sugar and others use buttermilk instead of cream. i actually learned a cool trick today, did you know if you don’t have buttermilk you can add a splash of white vinegar to milk (thanks jk). be creative and add whatever you prefer, that’s what is so great about cooking, you can do that.
hope you had a great weekend! enjoy!
- preheat oven to 400.
- in a bowl, rub together the sugar and lemon zest (you will start to smell the lemon and the sugar will get moist) then whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- in another bowl, whisk together the cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and oil.
- pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and with a spatula gently fold to blend.
- gently stir in the blueberries.
- i use a small ladle and ladle mixture into greased muffin cups.
- bake 18-20 minutes. tops will be golden brown and a toothpick or knife will come out clean
- let muffins to cool for about 5 minutes, and then remove them muffin pan. we usually can’t wait and attack them but i would let them cool down to room temperature.