- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 chopped or sliced onion
- 1 chopped or sliced pepper
- 1 1/2 tbl of grated ginger
- 2 tbl basil
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 3 cups of stock, tonight i used the last of my chicken
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- cubed tofu
- rice noodles
- handful of spinach
i love thai curries. most people i know are not huge coconut fans, including me, but for some reason i love coconut milk and i love it in thai food.
i have made many different versions of curry soups. some of them good, but never close to the real thing you know. until i got to this…this is just a mixture of everything i love about every thai curry noodle soup recipe i have ever made. it comes pretty close to what you would find in a thai restaurant, and it tastes great on a cold winter day like today because it’s nice and warm, comforting, and very filling.
you can find all these ingredients in your regular grocery store. for some reason i could not find sweet chili sauce this time around, so i looked it up and made my own, here is the link i found, i didn’t have sherry because i used the last of it last week for my mushroom barley soup and i added ginger.
it was actually better then what you would find in a bottle and you can spice it to your taste. i used the full tsp of chili flakes because e loves spice, you can add none at all or more if you desire. i added ginger because i love ginger, how can ginger be bad. by the way, if anyone need some, i have extra:-)
red curry noodle soup
- in a soup pot, heat up olive oil and saute onion, pepper, and ginger.
- after about 5 minutes, add a scant amount of coconut milk, just the top of one can, you will see all the cream on top, that’s what you want, and red curry paste and stir, cook for another 5 minutes.
- add rest of coconut milk, stock, sweet chili sauce, tofu, basil and cook for about 30 min on a low simmer. when done, add spinach, it only takes about 2 minutes to cook in a hot pot of soup.
- in the meantime bring a separate pot of water to boil and add noodles, cook until done and place on bottom of bowl, add soup.
- garnish with basil