- 5 whole star anise
- 10 cloves
- 1" of fresh ginger
- 5 whole pieces of cardamom crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 of a vanilla bean
- 5 cups of water
- 4 black tea bags or a 1/4 cup loose tea
- 1/4 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup of milk or more to taste
hello everyone and happy new year. can you believe it’s 2012!
i wanted to start out this year with a do over. i know what you must be thinking, a do over?
when i migrated to my new site i lost my first month of blogging. it was kind of sad. over the next couple of months as well as new recipes that i adore i am going to re-create some of my old favorites. i wanted to start with this, chai.
my homemade chai is one of my favorites. it’s perfect for a cold, snowy or even rainy day. it has just the right amount of spice to warm you up and comfort you. it’s one of my favorites to make for friends and family and since i stopped drinking coffee i’ve been making vats of it and storing it in the fridge to heat up in the morning.
this cup of chai is what started my blog and i wanted to share it with you (again) for the new year.
keep warm, if you’re in ny, it’s going to be a cold week.
happy new year to you and yours.
- add all ingredients but milk to a pot and simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- after tea has steeped, add milk and simmer for another 4 minutes or so.
- carefully pour tea through a sieve/strainer into a container or cup and drink.