- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 1 onion minced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 dried chili pepper, optional
- 2 cups of water
- 4 eggs
- handful of herbs
- 1 cup of panko
- pinch of salt and pepper
- oil for frying (about a cup)
i’ve always wondered what else i could do with quinoa. i’m sure that’s something you think about often? probably not. eh?
quinoa around here is a side dish. it pairs well with steak or chicken and even vegetables. it’s healthy, it tastes good and it’s easy to make. what more can you ask for? well now you can ask for quinoa patties because i am addicted.
quinoa is easy to make. throw it in a pot with some onions and garlic, water or stock to give it some extra flavor and you’re good to go. ready in 10 minutes or so. it’s light, it’s flavourful and it’s just really good to eat. now check this out….
if you took that quinoa and added some eggs, a cup of panko, and some herbs, well, actually that’s pretty much all the ingredients. that’s it. there you have it, a quinoa patty. yep folks, that’s all there is to it. you can give it to your kids and they can dip it in sauce, you can give it to them on a hamburger bun, or better yet, you can just save them for you and you can have a meal like this…
quinoa patties adapted from super natural every day by heidi swanson
to prep: cook you quinoa. saute onion and garlic in about a 1/2 a tbl of olive oil. add 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water. cook until water is absorbed and quinoa has split and is cooked.
- to a skillet add about a cup of oil and heat up
- meanwhile, in a medium to large bowl crack open and whisk 4 eggs. add cooked quinoa and mix.
- stir in panko, herbs, i used parsley, basil and a little tarragon. add a pinch of salt and pepper and start making your patties.
- when oil is hot carefully place your quinoa patties and start to fry. you don’t want to burn them, so a medium to high flame will work well.
- fry each side about 7-10 minutes. when patty is golden on one side it will be easy to flip over.
- if you are cooking in batches cooled patties in a warm oven.
not only did we enjoy these one night with a chorizo and an olive tapenade but last night covered then in homemade tomato sauce and topped with freshly shredded cheese.