we went apple picking last weekend. i haven’t been since i was a little girl. it was an experience i couldn’t wait to share with the kids.
i was hoping to climb trees…we didn’t but the kids still has fun, as well as the adults. i came home with way to many apples however. actually, there is no such thing as to many apples. i have been enjoying them, i wont lie.
carmel apples, baked apples, apple pie muffins (check out this recipe, yummy, thanks MBA!), apple sauce and finally the apple pie crumble, but first, some pictures!
this was one of the best apple pie crumbles i have made. i love a good crumble, but this, this was different. the crumble was moist but still crunchy at the same time. the apples…the faint hint of ginger, the cinnamon, oh dear. it was a little piece of fall heaven.
pie crust recipe from “the new moosewood cookbook” (one of my favorite cookbooks)
- 6 tbl butter cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tbl of buttermilk (you can use water or regular milk)
- in a food processor pulse flour and butter. add liquid and pulse till the dough holds together.
- take out and roll. i actually rolled this in between 2 pieces of floured wax paper. set in pie plate and set aside.
apple crumble adapted from “real simple” magazine
- 1 stick of butter cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbl flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- about 5-6 apples skinned and sliced
- 1 tbl fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- preheat oven to 375.
- place pie plate on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- in your food processor: pulse butter, 3/4 cup of the flour and 1/4 cup of the sugar. save in a small bowl and stick in the refrigerator until ready.
- in a large bowl, add sliced apples, grated ginger, cinnamon, salt, the remaining sugar and flour. mix and transfer the apple mixture into the crust.
- sprinkle with the crumb topping and bake until the top is goldenish in color, about 45 minutes to an hour.
the apples juices will be bubbling and the smell in your house, yum. you won’t be able to wait until dinner.
have a great weekend!