- zest of half an orange
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 chili pepper - halved
- juice of 1/4 an orange
- 2 cups olives
a few year back i came across a restaurant that served ricotta on a slice of toast with fresh thyme leaves and honey, this has become my signature appetizer for parties. it’s simple it’s healthy and everyone loves it.
here are some other great appetizer ideas:
- mushroom bruschetta is one of my favorites. it’s a nice twist on the usual tomato bruschetta.
- stuffed mushrooms, notice a trend :-), another one of my all time favs. easy to make and simple, great finger food.
- mezze plate, which basically means a mix of different foods on one plate, here are some good examples; slice a baguette and serve around a plate with: olive oil bread dip, babaganoush, roasted peppers, eggplant caponata, cheese and/or meats.
what are we serving for apps:
- sliced toasted baguette with fresh ricotta cheese, thyme and then a drizzle of honey
- my mom is making a spinach dip with hearts of palm
- chips and salsa (got to have that for the kids)
- olives (see below)
- a small cheese plate with crackers
i always serve bowls of olives at parties. i think they are the perfect finger food (you can throw them in drinks too). every week i buy a huge container from whole foods. during the day i sneak over and grab handfuls at a time. like celery or cucumbers they are my first go to healthy snack.
at home, when it’s just me and i am snacking, i just eat them as is out of the container but for a party, i like to spice things up.
what are your favorite appetizers?
- in a saute pan add everything but the olives.
- turn on the heat and wait till the herbs start to sizzle.
- take off of heat, cool down, pour over olives, mix.
your best bet is letting them sit over night, the flavors infuse nicely.
stay tuned tomorrow, it’s starters and sides