- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 pepper chopped
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 handful of chopped parsley
- 1 handful of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts and dried cranberries
- maple vinaigrette
i made this promise to myself and to my family over the weekend, i’m going to start getting back into shape. it’s been a long time since i have exercised and even longer since i felt “good”.
it’s not that i don’t take care of myself but taking care of two energetic kids takes a toll on you. i’m constantly running and constantly forgetting to eat. when i sit down to dinner i am famished. if i have learned anything over the past couple years it’s not to skip breakfast or lunch and i do anyway.
next week i am starting a juice clense. am i crazy? i might be but it’s time. not only am i trying to clean out my system but i want to start fresh. more about that clense later in the week because during my clense i have a surprise for you.
on my journey of not only eating healthier but trying to eat lunch and breakfast i hope to share some recipes with you. some i just haven’t made in a while and some experiments that have been going through my head over the past couple weeks. one is quinoa.
i’ve made quinoa before. i love it. one of my favorites was this stuffed squash, i have even made it for a crowd of 20! one thing i have never done is make a salad. it’s something i have thought about…and then i found black quinoa and i couldn’t resist.
this is not just a salad, yesterday i enjoyed it with hummus on a toasted pita, tonight we are going to enjoy the last of it with a steak.
- add quinoa to a pot with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. simmer for about 20 minutes or until water is evaporated.
- when quinoa is cooked, set aside in a bowl to cool off and start creating your salad.
- for the salad: mix all the following ingredients into quinoa. mix. taste. season with a little salt and pepper.