- 1 pound of steak (i used a skirt steak)
- 3 tbl butter
- one small onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 pound of mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup of sherry
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- handful of fresh parsley chopped
- hand full of fresh dill chopped
- 1 pound of pappardelle (we used an egg pasta)
i’ve been waiting for what seems like forever to post this recipe. a couple weeks back e and i took the kids to philipsburg manor. it’s this great little place over in sleepy hollow. last time we were there the kids witnessed a cat playing with a mouse and they thought it was the best place ever. my favorite part, the gift shop:-)
all these little farms and historical places have the best selection of unusual cookbooks. j noticed a great one over in the corner and said “ma, this is your new cookbook”. the kid knows me so well. i couldn’t put it down the whole way home.
the homesteader’s kitchen. i think it was written for me. it is full of great, healthy, from farm to table recipes. when i came across the recipe for beef and mushroom stroganoff i couldn’t resist.
beef & mushroom stroganoff adapted from the homesteader’s kitchen, grass-fed beef and mushroom stroganoff
- under your broiler or on your grill, season steak with some salt and pepper and cook to your liking. we grilled ours a little rare and let it sit out while everything was cooking.
- boil water and cook pappardelle
- in a large skillet, melt butter and saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic. saute for several minutes, onions will come transparent and mushrooms will start to turn a golden color.
- at this point add your sherry and stock, scrape up the bottom of the skillet and continue cooking until reduced by half, takes about 5-8 minutes.
- when the sherry mixture reduces add creme fraiche and half of your herbs. mix, and cook stirring for a couple minutes.
- when pasta is close to being done, add steak and mix. cook for about a minute.
- drain pasta, add to skillet, mix, add the other half of the herbs and serve.
***don’t forget, you have 4 days left to sign up for the giveaway!***