summer and baking…no. not me (um, well, baking anytime of year, no). this though, this is something that can be thrown together fast…ish…
let’s get serious for a second, it’s strawberry season. they are sweet, you can find them locally grown, they’re good, juicy and well…just yum!
it’s the season for light desserts. it’s the season for bbq’s. it’s the season for strawberry desserts. and well, desserts with brandy, hello, yummy.
got a party this weekend? make this…got family coming over…yeah, go grab some berries, break out the brandy and enjoy!
strawberry shortcake trifle
to prepare the strawberries:
- 3 pounds of strawberries washed, stems cut off and sliced.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup brandy
- mix sliced strawberries with sugar and brandy. cover and stick in fridge for at least an hour. the longer the better. feel free to stick your fingers in there and taste.
to prepare the whip cream:
- 2 quarts of heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbl vanilla
- and all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk, you can use an electric hand held mixer, until cream is thick. a frozen or cold bowl can speed up this process. really cold cream can too.
- 4 packages of lady fingers, sliced strawberry mixture, whipped cream.
- lay the lady fingers out on the bottom of the bowl, feel free to break any to fill in cracks, no one will notice.
- top with half the strawberry mixture and some of the juice.
- scoop 1/3 of whipped cream and spread out.
- repeat. top with lady fingers.
- when you get to the last row of lady fingers, spoon over all the leftover juices from the strawberries and top with whipped cream. spread evenly and toss a few strawberries on top of decoration.
- cover and stick in your fridge for at least an hour.
- serve with a spoon and enjoy!