- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 cloves of garlic smashed
- 1 heaping tbl of fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tbl paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 chili pepper roughly chopped
throwing things together in a skillet is possibly one of my favorite things to do.
i can sit in my kitchen for hours and think about what goes with what and what i can add to that. i love it. possibly because it’s chaos and i love chaos in a kitchen. it’s how i work best. it’s how i learned to cook.
some people measure and take out ingredients before they start the actual process of cooking. place them in some sort of order…me, i’m a grabber and a dreamer. i like to look around, see what’s available. i like to make things up as i go along.
i converse with myself most of the time too…something like…
“hrm, paprika goes great with lamb, oh wait, what’s that a lemon?”
“plums…wow i have a lot of plums…what can i add plums too?”
“man, maybe berry picking wasn’t a good idea, but i can make scones with blueberries, oh look, there’s a lemon”
“oh, i love these noodles. where’s all the tomatoes, do i have eggplant. oh great, to peel or not to peel?”
see, chaos, i just go with the flow. and when i’m feeling inspired, it all flows out. sometimes it doesn’t happen. sometimes i need a couple weeks away to re-light that flame. sometimes i just can’t stop. sometimes stuff like this happens.
i saw the lamb in back of my freezer. i always have some of my moroccan spice rub…but sometimes i want something different. well, the same, but different. a different feel, a different way to cook it. sometimes i wonder around and just grab things.
fresh herbs, oil, chili peppers (my favorite) and garlic. throw it all in a skillet, then walk around and see what else is available. because cooking is art, and once you start a project, it’s never done.
my excellent lamb marinade
- in a skillet add 1/2 cup canola oil and turn up the heat. when you start to hear it make noise, it takes about a minute, turn off flame.
- carefully add smashed garlic, chopped rosemary, paprika, salt, 1 lemon zested and a chili pepper.
- set to the side to cool down, about 20 minutes. poor over lamb and marinade for at least an hour.