- 1 pound of stew meat
- 1 leek chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger chopped
- 1/2 cup kimchi chopped
- 10 dates chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups of red wine
- 2 cups of stock or water
- 1 tsp suger optional
- 1 chili pepper optional
- small potatoes (optional)
i like kimchi and i can not lie…
remember that song? i like big buuu…ok moving on sorry….
i have a ridiculous obsession.
it’s just, like, not enough.
it’s like my obsession with duck fat…but possibly worse. no, sorry. rewind…it’s almost like my obession with duck fat.
the taste is different. it’s like this weird awesome flavor. it’s gotta bite. a good one. it’s kinda spicy. it’s truely lovely. i clearly have issues.
my obsession has led to weird unlike me meals. weird as in when my husband comes home and gives me this look like…really? you ruined beef stew with kimchi.
i’m pretty sure he thinks i’ve lost it. my flavor combinations the last couple weeks has been nothing but strange, seriously (like that chicken i made with those chipotles in adobo and dried peaches). which reminds me, i have chipotles in the freezer i must use.
chipotles and kimchi? hrm….
kimchi beef stew
- in a bowl toss beef with 1/2 cup flour.
- to a dutch oven add 2 tbl canola oil and brown your meat. set aside.
- to the pot add leeks, celery, carrots, ginger, garlic, dates and kimchi (1 chopped chili pepper, optional). saute for 5 minutes.
- add to the pot, 1 bay leaf, 2 cups red wine and 2 cups of stock or water (add 1 tsp sugar optional)
- bring to a boil and then cook for 3-5 hours or until beef is soft and sauce has thickened.
- if you are using potatoes, about an hour before you are going to eat, throw in a handful of small potatoes or cut up potatoes.