tomatoes are all the rage right now…you know, cause they are finally in season.
i have bowls of yellow, red, orange and purple tomatoes. all sweet, all just picked off the vine. all ready to be chopped for sauces, jams, salads…ugh…mouth watering now, i should of eaten breakfast this morning.
after a day of weeding and harvesting in the school garden, bike riding with the boy and working the farmers market i craved pasta. i needed to re-fuel. i needed energy…i needed food.
i took one look at the huge bowl of tomatoes and knew exactly what i wanted. i wanted fresh sauce. sauce made with handpicked tomatoes, basil, fresh from the farmers market garlic…i new what i craved. and this was it.
sweet, savory, energy inducing pasta. a quick sauce to re-fuel and re-energize.
simple market sauce: tomato, garlic and leeks
- 1/2 pound of pasta
- 1 tbl canola oil
- 1 leeks chopped and cleaned
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes (anything small will do)
- 2 handfuls of basil chopped (i used purple basil)
- 1/2 up white wine plus more for drinking
- about a half a cup of pasta water
- salt and pepper to taste
- boil your water and cook pasta according to package directions (make sure to reserve pasta water).
- to a warm sauté pan, add oil, leeks and garlic. sauté for 3-5 minutes or until leeks have softened.
- to pan add whole cherry tomatoes, mix and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, add wine and basil.
- keep on cooking until tomatoes have popped and the mixture resembles a sauce.
- carefully add pasta into pan (i use one of those pasta ladle things) adding pasta water to loosen up up sauce.
- toss. taste, season. serve.
this is fabulous with fresh bread, homegrown lettuce and a quick vinaigrette.
what are some of your favorite things to do with tomatoes?
Perfect for a big bowl of pasts like I had this evening! Love anything with tomatoes.
These are my two very-favorites:
Pasta with fresh tomatoes and tzatziki, extra-great if you participate in a CSA and are getting both tomatoes and cukes in your box: http://www.thesteadytable.com/tzatziki/
And Pasta with Tomatoes, Ginger and Creme Fraiche. The first time I made this was when my bag of ripe juicy tomatoes fell and burst open, and needed to be used right away:
Thank you so much for posting your favorite recipes!