it’s BBQ season…and this is one of those sides you can bring anywhere.
anywhere, trust me. it’s been my staple the past couple weeks.
i’ve been playing with ingredients and different flavor combinations. grapes, were first, then came the cherries and olives. the cherries won, and paired with the olives, a wonderful combo of sweet and salty.
the herbs, use anything you got. basil, dill, cilantro or mint. or combine a bunch to keep people guessing. my favorite combination so far…basil, cilantro and mint.
the greens, use anything, but mustard greens are a winner. don’t have any, use butter lettuce, use romaine, it doesn’t matter.
this salad is easy to throw together for a large group. want less cause there are only 4 of you? half it, it’s that easy.
i won’t go on anymore, seriously, i won’t. just go make it. you won’t be sorry.
quinoa salad w/herbs cherries and olives
- 2 cups of dried quinoa boiled, drained and rinsed (as you can see, i used red quinoa)
- 2-3 scallions chopped
- handful of fresh herbs (for this salad i used cilantro, basil and mint)
- about 1.5 cups of chopped greens
- 20 pitted and chopped cherries, go for more if you like
- 1/2 cup or more of chopped black olives
- about 1/4 cup vinaigrette (use more if needed but not to much, see note below)
- add 2 cups of quinoa to a pot with 4 cups water, bring to a boil then simmer till water is absorbed or quinoa is cooked. drain and rinse with cold water.
- combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix.
a simple vinaigrette i always have around the house…1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup canola oil, 1 tsp of dijon mustard, 1 tbl agave or honey. add all ingredients to a jar and shake.