- 1 roasted chicken carcass
- garlic bulb from the roast (if you did notsave add 4-5 cloves)
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- fresh dill and parsley
day 3 of my roast chicken, prepping for the matzah ball soup, chicken stock…
this has to be one of my favorite things about roasting a chicken. it’s the easiest part because all you do is throw everything in one pot and let it cook for hours. i usually put half the stock in freezer in one cup quantities. if i am using this stock for matzah ball soup i keep the fat in the stock, makes the matzah balls light and fluffy (you’ll see tomorrow. schmalz, just ask 2nd ave deli), it’s been requested for dinner.
- lay the carcass in a soup pot with garlic andcover it with water.
- add onion, celery, and carrots to pot. lay dill and parsley on top. bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 3-4 hours.
- strain the pot into jars or tupperware when done. when cool you can put in fridge and trim the fat off the top if wanted. i usually keep it in and remove for later use.
no one in my house likes the veggies in our matzah ball soup. my mother/grandmother never put them in and neither do i. i add all the veg whole.