- about 1/4 cup pancetta (i found already diced in the deli section)
- 1/2 an onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic smashed and chopped
- 5 mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- handful of frozen peas
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup tomato sauce
i’ve make vodka sauce before, i was surprised at how easy it was to make and how quickly it all came together.
my first time i didn’t go crazy, i just added the basics and went with it. this weekend we had dinner out, we all shared an order of penne alla vodka and i was surprised my kids devoured it. it was full of mushrooms and peas, onions and garlic. it was delicious. they licked their plates clean and asked for more.
this night in particular i needed to throw something together quick and j begged me to make him the pasta from the other night. i had 30 minutes before i had to run out so i quickly threw this together and it was even better then what we had at the restaurant.
penne alla vodka with mushrooms and peas
- in a heavy bottomed skillet with a touch of olive oil saute your pancetta, onion and garlic. after about 2 minutes add your mushrooms and mix. saute for about another 5 minutes mixing every so often.
- add your vodka and be careful. mine did not flare up but it could. cook down till all the alcohol evaporates and then add cream. mix and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- add your sauce, stir and let it simmer for another 4-5 minutes and add your peas. stir, give it a minute for the peas to cook.
toss with pasta and enjoy!