- 3 small raw beets cleaned and peeled
- 1 cup chopped and cleaned kale
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tbl balsamic vinegar
- handful of cilantro, basil and parsley
i love beets. i mean i really love them. i actually remember eating my first beet. it was raw and it looked like shoestrings. i was completely unsure and unhappy i had to eat them. i didn’t want to hurt any one’s feelings, all i knew from beets growing up in a jewish home was borscht (which i am now actually a huge fan of).i walked out of my friends house in love. i walked directly to the corner store and bought beets.
that weekend i looked up recipe after recipe and just about made every salad and every roasted beet dish i could find at the time. i am pretty sure my roommate was ready to kill me. i was obsessed. i still am. and whenever i see them i grab them, i love to pickle them and shred them raw on salads. i love to bake them and roast them with balsamic vinegar and now my new favorite, a beet spread.
my neighbor likes to challenge me. she loves to find recipes for me to create. 2 weeks ago, before i went away i was over her house and she gave me this beet spread she had picked up at a local organic deli/grocery type of place that just opened. “i bet you can make this”. that’s it, it was a challenge. the next day i gave it a try. i almost had it. this time, i did it. i am pretty sure it is better then the original i tried at her house. i made everyone who came into my house this weekend try it. e was surprised, he doesn’t care for beets, he came back for more. my sister in law who is kind of eh about beets, gave it a thumbs up. my neighbor told me it was awesome and one of my friends left my house with a tupperware full.
so here it goes, vegetarian’s enjoy! beet spread.
- there are 2 steps to this recipe, and although easy there is no way of getting around this.
- beets when not cooked are hard. if you just put it in with everything else you will have a hard time pulsing and grating them. what i do is put the grating attachment on the food processor and cut the beets in half. i then grate them.
- change attachment to the blade and continue adding and pulsing all the ingredients. at the end. lift the top and add the lemon and vinegar, pulse one more time. taste. i loved it the way it is, but maybe you want to adjust the amount of vinegar or lemon, another clove or two of garlic wouldn’t hurt either.
we managed to polish off 2 cups of this spread in 2 days, it was that good. the almonds add a great amount of protein and the kale adds all sorts of vitamins, you know, the ones that are good for you.