- 1 ripe cantaloupe
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 inch piece of ginger, grated
this was the first time i broke out the ice cream maker since last summer. i decided i wanted to make a refreshing ice cream, cantaloupe ginger.
i was really surprised at how quick and easy it is to make your own. like every other real ice cream recipe, this is not fat free (or even half the fat), the only thing healthy about this ice cream, the cantaloupe and ginger parts.
next time i promise a low fat yogurt ice cream. i’ll keep you posted on how that goes…i’m thinking a mint chocolate frozen yogurt!
cantaloupe ginger ice cream
- puree cantaloupe then combine the ginger and lemon juice. set aside in a strainer/colander in the refrigerator and allow the liquid to separate from the solids. keep the solids which will be added towards the end when the ice cream is almost done
- mix milk and sugar together so that the sugar dissolves, add the drained cantaloupe/ginger juice into milk mixture. set cantaloupe puree aside.
- stir in cream and vanilla extract and then pour into ice cream maker.
- mix about 20-25 minutes.
- add cantaloupe puree (not juice) to ice cream mixture 5 minutes before your ice cream is done mixing.
- top with candied ginger and/or balsamic sauce.
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- creme fraiche or sour cream
- pinch of salt
- add all your ingredients into a sauce pan, simmer on low until reduced by half.
- turn off heat. cool slightly and then whisk in the creme fraiche or sour cream.
this kind of sauce goes best with any kind of fruit based ice cream, it adds a touch of sourness to it which brings out the flavors of the fruit.
* * *
recipe by ginny, check out her info here