my grandparents live down the block from this old school italian restaurant in the city.
whenever there is a get together, this is where we go.
it’s one of those places that hasn’t been touched since 1970 when it opened.
and by perfect i mean if you are having a bad day, this is the place you want to go.
it’s the kind of place that puts a smile on your face as soon as you walk in. it’s the kind of place that takes you in and gives you a big hug.
every time i go, i get the same dish. it’s simple food, it’s good food, it’s the kind of food that makes your belly so full you want to fall asleep afterwards on your couch with a big comfy blanket.
it’s one of those dishes i have adapted in my own kitchen to comfort and soothe. to make everything better. to put smiles on our faces in times of worry.
it’s the dish we prefer, it’s the dish that temporarily solves the worlds problems and makes everything better. it’s the dish that finally made me smile after months of worry and fright.
my hearts broken up over what happened in newtown on friday. i have a first grader, i know someone who lives there with a first grader of her own.
so when i have no words…and in times of crisis, i cook. and i cook to comfort, to take our minds of the bad in the world, to remind us of what we have, where we live and how lucky we all are.
sending you all virtual hugs today…sending you thoughts of peace, of happiness and of comfort.
basic tomato sauce with lobster
- 1 tbl canola
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 large cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup stock
- 2 cups of whole canned tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- handful of basil
- handful of parsley
- 2 lobster tails
to prepare lobster tails. take meat out of lobster tail. the meat cooks fast so you don’t want to add it to the sauce while it is cooking. the shell adds a wonderful flavor to the tomatoes. set meat aside and start cooking.
- to a pan add 1 tbl canola oil, add minced onion and chopped garlic, saute for about 3-4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- add wine and bring to a boil. cook until wine has evaporated by half, it happens quickly, about 3-5 minutes.
- add stock, tomatoes, sugar, basil, parsley and lobster shells. mix and simmer for 30 minutes.
- take that lobster meat you have been saving and chop it up into bites size pieces. take shellls out of pan and add meat. mix and cook until meat is done, about 2-4 minutes.
toss with pasta and serve with bread and salad.
enjoy, be safe, and take care.