- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1" piece of ginger minced
- 1 butternut squash chopped
- 1 apple skinned and chopped
- 5 cups of stock
- 1/4 cup honey
- salt and pepper
i roasted a chicken. not because i wanted chicken either. i just wanted the bones.
roasted chicken bones = good homemade stock.
good homemade stock can be made over night in your crock pot. it’s rather easy. stick the bones in, add an onion. carrots are good too and so is celery. hit power. low…and then go to bed.
when you wake up in the morning something good happens. there is this amazing smell. turn the power off and let it cool. strain, pour into jars or into a pot and create some good stuff.
add beans, onions, celery, tomatoes, whatever you want. the base is there, the stock that has been simmering away for hours (overnight, depends on how long you sleep, 8 hours!!).
or, you can just use the box stuff (smile here and then click on this link).
i get antsy. and when i haven’t been in the kitchen for a week i get really antsy. i cook. when i cook i smile. when i smile, everyone is happy. when everyone is happy, i get at least 5 minutes of peace (kind of).
ginger, apple, squash…throw some honey in there and let that stuff simmer.
blend it, taste it, love it. let the warm flavors sooth your soul, make you smile and fill you up.
and then go sledding (if you still have snow, i know some of you do).
butternut, ginger and apple soup
- saute onion, ginger and garlic until onion is translucent. about 5 minutes. add squash and apple. sauté for another 5 minutes.
- add 5 cups of stock, 1/4 cup honey and a pinch of salt and pepper. bring to a boil and then simmer until squash is soft.
- with an immersion blender blend soup until you have reached a smooth consistency.
serve with warm buttery bread and enjoy.