i wanted to recreate these tacos i had at the market.
when i ordered them the guy said “this is something new…i hope you like raisins and olives”.
i love olives…raisins freak me out. but i went with it. i tasted it, then i devoured it.
holy hieroglyphics batman! that was easily the best taco i ever had.
not kidding. really. if i wasn’t eating dinner in an hour i would of went back for another. i just totally fessed up to eating two dinners didn’t i…
it might be the sour cream…or cheese. sometimes it’s the guac and salsa. but most of the time it’s the filling. grilled veggies with sliced steak, sliced chicken with fresh herbs and onions, fish with a quick slaw…
i might of eaten 5 of these (possibly 6).
a can’t miss – must make recipe. trust me. go for the raisins.
kid tested, mom approved.
ground beef tacos with golden raisins
- 1 tbl canola oil
- 1 onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper minced
- 1 pound of ground chop meat
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 2.5 oz can of sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 14.5oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- in pot saute onion, garlic and pepper in 1 tbl canola oil. saute until onion is almost translucent, about 4-5 minutes. add meat and begin to cook breaking up all the clumps.
- add spices and mix. add olives and raisins, mix. add tomatoes, mix. using the tomato can, fill up with water and add to meat mixture. mix everything together, bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 minutes or until most of the juice has reduced.
use with soft tortillas (corn are pretty awesome) and serve with some of your favorite condiments. salsa (that us mango above), sour cream, red onion, extra jalapeño pepper.