soup, for me, has always been one of those foods that has the ability to mend. even if it’s only for a moment.
i cook soup when i’m sad, when i need to heal, when i need to comfort.
i sit an chop, sauté and mix. i let my thoughts go, let the day go, regroup and get it together.
it might only be for moment…it might not erase what happened, but it helps.
this if for you, you know who you are. my freezer is full, and i put love into every container.
for you my friend, to help heal, to mend and fill your broken heart.
keep those you love close. hug them, kiss them, hold their hands.
a bowl of soup and a smile can do wonders. much love to you all. much love.
dumpling squash, pear and ginger soup
- 2 dumpling squash skinned and cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 pears chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbl of grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups of chicken or veg stock
- salt and pepper to taste
note: peeling dumpling squash is not easy…it’s all the grooves. those damn grooves, trust me it’s worth it though. what i do is prick the squash with a knife and then microwave them for about 3-5 minutes, stop half way through to check. split open, take out seeds and scoop right out. you can also just cut on the grooves and peel them like an apple.
another option is cutting then roasting or steaming, ether good options, you could do it early in the am and set in fridge to cool. get home from work, peel cook.
- in a soup pot, sauté chopped onions, pears, ginger, garlic and squash with a pinch of salt and pepper for 10 minutes or until onions become translucent and pears and squash soften.
- add stock to pot. cover and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- when everything is soft enough to break with a fork, blend to your desired consistency.
serve with fresh bread and a salad.
inhale, exhale, dig in and start that healing.