i’m getting ready for the 4th are you?
it’s one of my favorite holidays. the beach, the fireworks…but the food, oh the food is my favorite.
last year it was fried chicken and mac and cheese, this year, this year my friends i bbq.
i’ve been messing with cucumbers for a while. i love the original, you know, the plain cucumber with red onion and a simple vinegar based dressing. but lately i just want to add stuff. i want to dress it up. i want color and fruitiness (see here).
and then i was given way to many snap peas. way to many, as in, how many can we all eat. so what do you do? you add them to cucumber salad. and then you listen to your kids beg for it every day…as they pick out the onions (wink wink)
snap pea and cucumber salad
to assemble the salad:
- 1 large seedless cucumber
- 1 pint snap peas, cleaned and ends trimmed, sliced thin
- 1 ren onion sliced
- handful of mixed herbs (i used tarragon, parsley, basil and mint)
to make the dressing:
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tbl vinegar (i used a favored mint balsamic)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbl honey
- pinch of salt and pepper
- add all salad ingredients to a bowl and toss.
- mix dressing ingredients in a jar and shake.
- pour dressing over mixture and toss.
serve right away or make early in the morning and store in the fridge.