we love corn here. i wont lie. my kids inhale it. every which way too. on the cob, cut off the cob, in bread, creamed, in salads, in soup…it’s just one of those “i win” sides (i win as in haha you’ll eat it and no one complains). no matter what i do, they eat it.
so when i was given 4 ears of corn after a bbq my kids paraded around me and screamed corn soup! corn soup!
(btw, yes…yes, people give me ears of corn)
it was a parade (it was also raining).
singing, chanting and there were smiles.
how can you say no to smiles? you can’t.
so i made soup, and i had help…
in season and perfectly sweet. one of our favorites. one you can’t miss.
way to simple corn chowder
- 2 tbl butter
- 2 tbl canola oil
- 1 vadilla onion chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic chopped
- 4 ears of corn, cut off the cob and then grated (see below)
- 4 cups of veggie (or chicken stock)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup of half and half
to prep: cut corn from cop and then grate ears after to express all the milk and forgotten kernels.
- in a big soup pot add 2 tbl butter and oil, melt. add onion and garlic. sweat out onions till translucent, about 5 minutes. add corn and mix. cook for another 5 minutes.
- to pot add stock and bring to a boil. simmer for 30 minutes uncovered so some of the stock evaporates.
- add half and half, mix.
- with an immersion blender, blend soup leaving some corn whole but thicken the soup.
- taste, season and cook for another 10 minutes.